Visions of Paradise

Monday, September 26, 2011

Favorite short f&sf stories

I do not believe I have ever posted my favorite short fiction list, so here it is.

Ranking / Title / Author
1 / Her Habiline Husband / Michael Bishop
2 / A Rose for Ecclesiastes / Roger Zelazny
3 / The Star Pit / Samuel R. Delany
4 / The Girl Who Was Plugged In / James Tiptree, Jr.
5 / The Last Castle / Jack Vance
6 / The Persistence of Vision / John Varley
7 / Story of Your Life / Ted Chiang
8 / Green Mars / Kim Stanley Robinson
9 / Blue Champagne / John Varley
10 / The White Otters of Childhood / Michael Bishop
11 / April Fool’s Day Forever / Kate Wilhelm
12 / The Visitor at the Zoo / Damon Knight
13 / Hawksbill Station / Robert Silverberg
14 / The Custodians / Richard Cowper
15 / The Dead Lady of Clown Town / Cordwainer Smith
16 / This Moment of the Storm / Roger Zelazny
17 / We, in Some Strange Power’s Employ, Move on a Rigorous Line / Samuel R. Delany
18 / Fire Watch / Connie Willis
19 / The Empire of Ice Cream / Jeffrey Ford
20 / Zima Blue / Alastair Reynolds

3 Comments:

  • Great list of short fiction. You made some good choices.

    I will have to do some thinking about what would be on my list of favorites. I am thinking that I will have an Asimov story and possibly a Martin one.

    By Blogger Jim Black, At 11:59 AM  

  • My favorite Asimov was "The Ugly Little Boy." I could select several Martins, such as "A Song For Lya" and "Sandkings."

    By Blogger adamosf, At 1:48 PM  

  • The Dead Lady of Clown Town is one of my absolute favorite short stories, and The Last Castle and Fire Watch are excellent as well. I am definitely interested in reading the rest of your list based solely on the presence of these three stories.

    By Blogger Carl V. Anderson, At 5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home